STARTING NEW SERVICE WITH SUMTER EMC
Applying for Service
As a non-profit electric membership corporation, any person, firm, association, corporation, or public body requesting electric service must become a member of Sumter EMC. A one-time $5.00 membership fee is required for each member. Upon termination of membership, the membership fee will be applied against any unpaid balance owed to the Cooperative, transferred to another account held by the member, or refunded to the member.
An application for service must be completed for each electric service requested. The application for service provides Sumter EMC with the necessary information, including:
- The name, picture identification, and address of the member.
- The billing name and address for the account.
- Employment information, if applicable.
- Contact information, including phone numbers.
- Permission to access the property for construction, operation, and maintenance of the electric service.
- An application for participation in Cooperative Solar.
- Outdoor lighting desired by the member.
- Operation Roundup® participation authorization.
A service security deposit may be collected by the Cooperative prior to service connection. Deposits range from $0 to two times the average monthly bill on residential accounts based upon the member's credit risk score.
Deposit requirements for commercial range from one month's average bill to twice the highest month's bill based upon the credit risk score.
Upon termination of service, the security deposit shall be applied against any amounts the member may owe the Cooperative, transferred to another account held by the member, or refunded by check. Contact customer service for additional information.
Apply for Service Online!
- For a commercial/business application, complete the application here and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver to your nearest Sumter EMC office.