Sumter EMC’s innovative Prepay Electric Service program for residential accounts allows you to take charge of your electric bills!
Unlike traditional post-pay accounts, prepay accounts allow you to pay for your electricity before you use it.
This approach gives you more flexibility and control over the use of electricity.
- Any existing deposit amount will be put to work for you immediately as a credit to the Prepay account balance (if converting an existing account to Prepay).
- If you already have a conventional post-pay residential account, switching to Prepay and using the available debt management feature provides a way to spread your pre-existing balance due over an extended period of time:
- 25% of all Prepay account payments are applied to any pre-existing delinquent balance.
- 75% of all Prepay account payments are applied towards future energy usage.
- No more end-of-the-month billing surprises that can occur due to hot weather, cold weather, or malfunctions in your heating/cooling system or electrical equipment.
- Payments can be made monthly, weekly, or more often – you control the payment schedule.
- Daily notifications of energy usage and electricity costs will allow you to better monitor your energy usage and budget for electricity costs.
- If energy usage increases significantly, daily reporting of energy usage will give you timely notice to take corrective action instead of finding out at the end of the month. Automatic alerts and notifications are sent:
- Every day to provide an updated account balance and daily energy usage.
- When the credit balance falls below a limit (determined by you) to provide an opportunity to make a payment and avoid automatic disconnection.
- When payments are made.
- When electric service is disconnected/reconnected.
- Daily usage and Prepay account balance can be checked by you in person at one of our three offices, by telephone, on Sumter EMC’s online portal, or with Sumter EMC’s smartphone application.
- Credit card and e-check payment options are available to you all day, every day with no additional fee.
- Prepay account payments can be made:
- At all three Sumter EMC offices during normal business hours.
- By telephone.
- On Sumter EMC’s online portal.
- Using Sumter EMC’s smartphone application.
- Payment methods include:
- Cash at one of the three Sumter EMC offices during normal business hours.
- E-check payments which are accepted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by telephone, on Sumter EMC’s online portal, or by Sumter EMC’s smartphone application.
- Credit card payments which are accepted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by telephone, on Sumter EMC’s online portal, or by Sumter EMC’s smartphone application.
- Note that Prepay account payments cannot be made to Sumter EMC’s collection agents.
- Additional deposits and reconnect fees are not applicable to Prepay accounts.
- If your Prepay service is disconnected, you will be reconnected automatically when a payment is made and applied to the account that raises the credit balance above $20.
Unlike traditional post-pay accounts, prepay electric service accounts allow members to pay for their electricity before they use it. This approach gives the member more flexibility and control over electricity use. It will enable members to avoid deposits and fees, customize their payment schedule, purchase energy when convenient, and monitor their electricity consumption in a self-managed program.
Members with a 200 AMP single phase, non-demand residential account are eligible. Life Support and Medical Alert accounts do not qualify for Prepay service.
Prepay electric service uses the same rate as post-pay service, so there is no additional cost to signing up for prepay. Existing members can convert their accounts to prepay electric service by agreeing to the applicable terms and placing a minimum $50.00 credit balance on the account for daily usage. New members with no application on file must pay a membership fee of $5.00, an account setup fee of $15.00, and a minimum of $50.00 credit balance for daily usage.
Unlike traditional post-pay accounts, prepaid electric service does not require a member deposit. In addition, prepaid charges are not penalized for disconnects and reconnecting.
Yes, you can switch to prepay electric service even if you already have service at Sumter EMC. Any existing deposits will be applied to your outstanding balance owed, and a new prepaid account will be set up. Additionally, members with an overdue balance and wish to convert their account to prepay can pay the balance in full before converting or choose the Debt Management option of prepaying electric service.
New and existing members can apply for prepay electric service at any Sumter EMC office. An application must be completed and signed to enroll in the prepay electric service program.
Payments can be made at Sumter EMC during regular working hours. Payments can be made 24 hours a day via credit card, debit card, check by phone at 800-342-6978, online at www.sumteremc.com, or a smart app on your cell phone. Since our collection agents require a paper bill to accept payment, members on prepay electric service can no longer pay at a collection agency.
Members participating in prepay electric service can access their account information through the Sumter EMC Member Services Portal at https://billing.sumteremc.com/oscp/ or by calling or visiting any Sumter EMC office.
Prepay members will no longer receive a billing statement.
Members can set up alerts and reminders on their accounts when they sign up for prepaid electric service. Alerts can be sent in any combination using text messaging, email, and phone calls. Available signs include Low Balance Threshold, Service Connected, Service Disconnected, Service Reconnected, Payment Confirmation, Return Check Alert, Balance, and Usage Alert.
The service will lapse and automatically disconnect if a member’s account balance runs out of funds. Members will receive a low balance alert before being disconnected and another warning once the power has been disconnected.
Members can recharge their account at any time, day or night, by adding money to the account through one payment option.
Arrangements are not allowed on prepay electric service accounts.
Prepay accounts that lapse and do not become reconnected after seven (7) days will be considered inactive, and Sumter EMC will mail a final bill to the last known address on file.
Members may elect to convert their account from prepay to post-paid electric service at any time, although they may be required to pay all account balances and are subject to the required deposits.
If you want additional information on Prepay Electric Service, contact one of Sumter EMC’s Member Service Representatives at 229-924-8041 or 1-800-342-6978, or click below to message us.