Hot Weather Safety
Following these simple safety tips can help you beat the summer heat:
- Slow down. Strenuous activities should be reduced, eliminated, or rescheduled to the coolest time of the day. Individuals at risk should stay in the coolest available place, not necessarily indoors.
- Dress for summer. Lightweight, light-colored clothing reflects heat and sunlight, and helps your body maintain normal temperatures.
- Wear a hat and sun block to protect yourself from the sun's rays. Sunburn makes the job of heat dissipation much harder for your body.
- Put less fuel in your body. Foods (like proteins) that increase metabolic heat production also increase water loss.
- Drink plenty of water or other non-alcoholic fluids. Your body needs water to keep cool, so drink plenty of fluids even if you don't feel thirsty.
- Spend more time in air-conditioned places. Air conditioning in homes and other buildings greatly reduces the danger from the heat. If you don't have air conditioning in your home, visit Sumter EMC's appliance center and select the perfect window air conditioning unit to help you beat the heat this summer.